Newsboys Foundation Leadership Award Background
The Newsboys Foundation Leadership Awards were launched in 2013 to celebrate 120 years of Newsboys.
The awards were in two categories: Newsboys Foundation Youth Leadership Award (for young people aged 14-18) and the Newsboys Foundation Community Leadership Award (for people age 19-30).
Both awards went to individuals who had worked or volunteered with a community organisation and provided exceptional leadership within their community.
The purpose of the prize was to support the winners’ community leadership development through education and/or professional development.
The 2013 and 2014 nominations were reviewed by an eminent judging panel.
The judging panel members were:
- Zich Zichy-Woinarksi QC, Chairman, Newsboys Foundation
- Betty Amsden AO
- Wayne Bunte, Director, Newsboys Foundation and former Melbourne Newsboys Club Member
- Deborah Cheetham AO, Head of the Wilin Centre, Faculty of VCA and MCM, University of Melbourne
- Sandie de Wolf AM, CEO, Berry Street
- Bernie Geary OAM, Victorian Commissioner for Children and Young People
- Carmel Guerra, CEO, Centre for Multicultural Youth
- Andrew Holden, Editor in Chief, The Age
- Jan Owen, CEO, Foundation for Young Australians (2013 Awards only)
- Sandy Shaw, CEO, Newsboys Foundation
From 2015, the Newsboys Foundation Awards are being conducted in partnership with other organisations.